How Much Do You Know About MBC?

How Much Do You Know About MBC?

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Live Like You're Dying!

I said, Goodbye for now, to two precious friends in 2016. It saddens my heart to know they are no longer here; no longer a phone call or text away. But it gladdens my heart to know they are no longer in pain and suffering from this awful thing called cancer.

I've told my husband that when I'm gone, I don't want my death to be described as "losing her long battle to cancer."  For one thing, battles have winners and losers, and I DO NOT want to be considered a loser. Secondly, there are some battles that can not be won, no matter how hard you fight. There are times when you have to surrender to the facts and go on living... like you're dying.

My friends did just that!  Dee was fiesty and put 110% into everything she did. She loved her family, friends and church community. She hated having to give up her job when the ovarian cancer became too much. Yet, she continued to live out her life in other ways.  She was an encourager and her faith was strengthened every day and in many ways. She was NOT a loser in my eyes; she won the respect of many, the love and support of others and most importantly, her reward of heaven!

Janice didn't "fight" her cancer, she fought for her family everyday. She was determined to have them see her faith played out during her time with sarcoma - a soft tissue cancer that started in her leg and soon spread to other organs. Her leg was eventually amputated in hopes of controlling the spread.

She lived every day to the fullest. She did not let her physical disabilities and limitations interfere with what she wanted to do most - spending time with her young grandchildren! She loved being a grandma, mother, wife and friend. I saw Janice a few days before she passed away (12/22) and while she was weak, she still wanted to know how I was doing! It was never about her; always others. There are hundreds of people in Pontiac (MI) who remember the many Thanksgivings that Janice and her friends would pass out meals to people on the street. I know she heard:  "Well done, my good and faithful servant."
 
I recently had lunch with a friend whose breast cancer has spread to her bones. We love to laugh at our lives and joke about the crazy things people do and say to us (that's what's important about having a support system that totally understands where you're coming from!) 
 
Anyway.....she said something that I haven't forgotten. She said that we've (Stage IV Cancer peeps) have been given a gift. We have an insight into how our lives will end - sooner than later - and we now have the chance to do and say things that need to be done and said. We have the opportunity to make things right with others, encourage others, prepare others, enjoy others and love others.
 
We are LlVING like we're DYING.  Are you?
 
I hate to be a Debbie-downer, but we're all dying! Do you say "one day" I'll go there or do that? Does "someday" seem like it will never come?  It won't if you don't plan for it.  Don't live your life waiting for the perfect time to enjoy the people, places and things you love.
 
Make 2017 a year of LIVING, not just EXISTING. Decide on one thing you ARE going to do this year and start making the plans to see it happen. Don't waste the time you have.  Don't waste the relationships you have! Go ahead, start today .........and LIVE like you're DYING!
 





6 comments: